Oct 23, 2012

Pink Tie TShirt for Breast Cancer Awareness Day



Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady


Last Friday was Breast Cancer Awareness Day at my son's school.  I thought, perfect opportunity to try out one of those crafts I've seen on Pinterest - Tie Onesie (or tshirt in our case)!


I did look at several blogs & Etsy shops before attempting my own creation.  I ended up using a variation of the steps from haute apple pie and mrs. wigglebottom as these two contained my favorite elements.


Here's what I'd like to remember about making this tie shirt -


Materials:



  • tshirt or onesie
  • about 10" x 3" of fabric for the tie
  • Steam-A-Seam (or another kind of iron-on fabric adhesive)
  • pattern (I used this one)
  • fabric scissors
  • iron
  • sewing machine (optional)
Steps:


  1. Iron the tshirt, then set it aside.
  2. Iron the tie fabric, then turn it pattern side down.
  3. Peal off one side of the Steam-A-Seam (you may need to cut it to size first).
  4. Place the sticky side on the non-pattern side of the tie fabric.
  5. Run the iron over a couple times.
  6. Cut out your pattern.
  7. Trace the pattern onto the Steam-A-Seam (paper still on this side).
  8. Cut out the tie.
  9. If you choose to, sew the knot to the flap end of the tie.  (I would skip this step if I did it again.  I think it looks more tie-like to overlap the knot onto the tshirt in which case sewing isn't necessary).
  10. Peal off the remaining side of Steam-A-Seam.
  11. Fold in the edges (about 1/4").
  12. Iron down the edge if they aren't sticking well.
  13. Place the two tie pieces, pattern side up, onto the tshirt.  DON'T press down yet.
  14. Once you get the placing just about right, move the tail piece up and under the know piece just slightly.  (if you've sewn the pieces together, skip this step)
  15. Once you're happy with the placing of the tie, iron it down according to the package directions.
  16. Optional step (recommended if you intend for your child to wear the shirt a lot) - sew around the edges.  I used a contrasting thread and a tight zig-zag stitch.  This was challenging and I don't love the way it turned out.  If I make another one of these, I will skip sewing or use a thread similar in color to the tie and do a simple straight stitch around the edge.
Pictures to further illustrate the steps:





Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Materials


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 4


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 7


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 8


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 11


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 14


Homemade breast cancer awareness pink tie tshirt | The Lowcountry Lady
Step 16




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas. Please leave a comment!