We started out with breakfast at one of our favorite places and then headed out to the beach for a little fall stroll. While we were walking, we collected a bit of sand and a few shells.
To make sand and shell ornaments -
List of stuff needed:
- clear ornaments (glass or plastic - I prefer the glass but plastic has its perks too)
- scrapbook paper
- pen or marker
- tiny shells
- tiny beach wood
- funnel or paper to use as a funnel
- Rinse the shells and set them aside to air dry.
- Remove the top of the ornament and use a funnel to fill the ornaments about 1/4 to 1/3 full of sand.
- Cut the scrapbook paper into a small shape (I used a large circle craft punch).
- Write the place and date (or message of your choice) on the shape. Write on the top 1/3 of the shape as the bottom third will be pushed into the sand.
- Roll the shape up slightly so you can insert it into the opening of the ornament.
- Push the paper into the sand. If the opening is very small, you can use tweezers to position the paper if necessary.
- Drop in some shells and beach wood.
- Replace the top of the ornament.
- Cut about 12" of ribbon.
- Tie a bow to the top of the ornament.
Here's how mine turned out.
This idea could be used to make all sorts of ornaments. For example, you could add dirt and pine needles, little dried flowers, pretty rocks, etc. You could also add a tiny photo - that would be super cute!