If you've never had pizza cooked on the grill, you're missing out my friend. Here are the steps we use to cook a pizza in a cast iron skillet on the Big Green Egg. If you don't have an egg, you could use whatever kind of grill you do have. And if you don't have a cast iron skillet, get one. You'll thank yourself. In addition to pizza, you can make some amazing steak, fajitas, cornbread, etc. in a skillet. And, it will last forever. They make fantastic gifts too.
Start with good pizza dough. We love to get ours from this little family owned pizza place called Orlando's on Daniel Island. We have on occasion picked some up from Publix, Harris Teeter or Whole Foods though, and all of those have turned out fine. Toss your pizza dough until its the size of the bottom of your skillet.
Coat the bottom of the skillet with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, then place the pizza dough in and press the edges up the side of the pan just a bit.
Good pizza sauce really does make a difference. If you can find Rao's, it is awesome. Expensive, but awesome.
Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of sauce onto the dough and spread it around.
Put any toppings you want on the pizza. This time, we used cooked hamburger, artichoke quarters & pepperoni topped with Mozzarella.
Put your pizza on the egg. 450º for 10-15 minutes will do it. Start checking the crust around 10 minutes - burnt pizza crust is the worst so avoid letting that happen.
After 15 minutes, take your pizza of and basque in the delicious smell.
If you try it, please let me know what toppings you chose and how it turned out!
- 1 lb fresh pizza dough
- 1/4 cup of flour or corn meal (to prevent your dough from sticking to the counter)
- 2-3 Tbs pizza sauce
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese
- toppings of your choice (pepperoni, cooked hamburger, veggies)
- Heat your BGE or grill to 450 degrees.
- Toss your dough until it's slightly larger than the bottom of your cast iron skillet
- Coat the bottom of the skillet with about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, then place the pizza dough in and press the edges up the side of the pan just a bit.
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of sauce onto the dough and spread it around.
- Put any toppings you want on the pizza.
- Top with cheese.
- Put your pizza on the egg. 450º for 10-15 minutes will do it. Start checking the crust around 10 minutes - it should take between 10-15. You'll know it's ready when the cheese is fully melted and the bottom of the crust is dark golden brown.
- Remove your pizza from the skillet to avoid continued cooking and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Slice it up and enjoy some of the best pizza you'll ever have!