I love (American) Mexican food. I always have. This appreciation must stem from my Colorado roots. There are so many amazing Mexican food restaurants in Colorado! I am still on the search for a delicious chili verde topped burrito in the lowcountry, but that's okay.
This recipe is no chili verde, but it is mouth-wateringly delicious. So, if you share my love of Mexican food, then make these Taco Burgers tonight!
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Hamburger buns (the French hamburger buns from Publix bakery are the best)
- 1 ¼ lbs ground beef
- 1 - 2 Avocados
- 6 diced grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- Light sour cream
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fire up your Big Green Egg (or grill of choice). For this recipe, cook with direct heat, on the cast iron grate, with the grill at about 400 degrees.
- Mix all of the seasoning ingredients together. You'll have extra seasoning, so mix in a mason jar or other air-tight container. (makes a great rub for flank steak or seasoning for traditional tacos)
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef and 2 heaping tablespoons of the seasoning until combined.
- Form hamburger patties. Depending on the size, you should be able to make three to four.
- Put black beans in a pot on the stove and turn the heat on low.
- Put burgers on the BGE to cook, a few minutes on each side.
- In a separate bowl, add diced avocado, tomatoes, onion & juice of 1 lime. Mix to your desired consistency.
- When the burgers are done (or just about done) toast hamburger buns on the grill.
- Assemble your burgers! Add a small spoonful of sour cream to the bottom bun, top with burger, black beans, cheese & a generous spoonful of guac.
- Add the top bun.