Yum! I could live on Mexican food so it's no surprise that the "baked" fajitas we made tonight are my favorite Big Green Egg recipe.
The recipe is a mish-mosh of the baked fajita recipes floating around and a fajita marinade that we've used for a while now. Pictures and recipe follow...
First mix up all of the dry spices, then add the liquid ingredients.
Slice a red bell pepper, onion and some chicken cutlets. Pour the sauce over the top, mix everything up so the chicken and veggies are coated in the flavorful marinade. Pop the mix in the fridge for an hour or so.
Transfer the mix to your seasoned cast iron skillet.
Put the skillet on the egg and maintain a temp between 350 and 375 degrees. "Bake" for 45 minutes.
When you remove your delicious fajita mix from the BGE, you'll notice that the veggies have cooked down a lot which makes them super tender and amazing.
Big Green Egg "Baked" Chicken Fajitas
serves 4 or 2 with leftovers
- 1 lb Chicken cutlets
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider or white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (update: I'll add half of the soy sauce next time, leftovers were super salty)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder (I used regular but you could use hot to spice it up)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup cheese
- sour cream
- any other toppings you like (think avocado or guac)
- Mix together the dry seasonings and spices
- Add in the olive oil, soy sauce & lemon juice and whisk everything together and set aside
- Slice the chicken cutlets, bell pepper and onion into 1/2" slices.
- Put the sliced ingredients into a baking dish or a ziplock bag and pour the sauce over the top. Make sure everything gets a nice coat of sauce.
- Enjoy how delicious this smells :)
- Put the mix into the fridge for an hour or so to start soaking up the yumminess
- Heat the egg to 350 degrees.
- Transfer your chicken, veggies and sauce to a cast iron skillet and place the skillet on the egg.
- Maintain a temp of 350-375 and cook everything up for 45 minutes.
- Shred your cheese, toast/heat your tortillas and prep all of your other ingredients.
- Remove your fajita mix from the egg and start assembling. It will smell so amazing so definitely plan to eat right away.
Mmmmmmm.... so goooooood!