Aug 19, 2017

The Library Nook

The hallway downstairs is wider than the average hallway and has two nooks, one on each side of a closet in the middle.  The original plans for the house called for one window centered in each nook.

We owned a large sturdy bookcase.  It was one of the first big pieces of furniture we bought for our former home.  It is solid wood, purchased locally from Celadon (likely from India).  I wasn't willing to give it up, but there was just no obvious spot in the plans for it.  That's what sparked an idea for one of the nooks.

We worked with our builder to remove one of the nook windows (and to move it to the other nook), which created the perfect space for the bookcase.  I love how it fits just perfectly!  The space isn't complete yet, but I thought I'd share a sneak peak, and see if y'all have any ideas.

Small Library Nook | The Lowcountry Lady

I know I want another little piece of art for the wall on the right.  I'm thinking of a small marsh painting or print.  I also have a thing for silhouettes of children and adore this one from Etsy. What do you think?

Also, I kind of like how the lighting at night is faint, but I do wonder if I should try to add some lighting.  A set of string lights, or a sconce, or a tiny little lamp to sit on one of the shelves.

And, maybe a little stool or bench...

Small Library Nook | The Lowcountry Lady

Small Library Nook | The Lowcountry Lady

Small Library Nook | The Lowcountry Lady

I like how these ideas come to life over time.

In case you're curious, my favorite author is the witty Jane Green.  Her books got me through my living-alone in Boulder days, when I should have been studying text books instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts and ideas. Please leave a comment!