Every spring I fall in love with Charleston all over again. There is a perfect little farmers market in Marion Square on Saturdays with gorgeous fruits and veggies from nearby farms and fascinating pieces of jewelry and art. A friendly mix energy from regular farmers market goers (last year I bought produce from Fields Farm alongside Joe Riley) and people on vacation just checking out what's going on. Dogs out for fresh air and kids eating delicious King of Pops popsicles. Going for a little walk down King Street and maybe even strolling beyond to to inspect a Philip SImmons gate or historic doorway with the most beautiful wreath. Spring in Charleston makes you feel so alive.
A few pictures from my farmers market visit last weekend:
Sweet Onion Salad
- 2 Wadmalaw Sweet Onions (also called Spring Onions, pictured above), sliced thin on a mandolin
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 Tbs Sour Cream
- 2 Tbs Dukes Mayo
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 1 dash of Tabasco
- 1 Tbs chopped dill
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 slice ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Mix buttermilk, sour cream, mayo, tabasco, lemon, sugar & dill. Season with salt & pepper.
- Toss this mix with the onions and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a plate and season with salt & pepper.
- Top the tomatoes with the onion mixture.
This is a perfect appetizer or side for a delicious steak or piece of grilled chicken. Enjoy!